Tuesday, February 1, 2011

First time making homemade baby food

Today I thought I would attempt to make Chelsea some homemade baby food for the first time. It was actually my first time making baby food EVER as we only gave Blake baby jar food (I guess you really do learn a lot the second time around). We decided that we were going to make baby food for Chelsea as soon as we realized just how expensive it is to buy the jar kind. So, let me break down the cost... one jar of sweet potatoes is about .79 cents and that would be for about 2-3 meals. One large sweet potato in the grocery store was $2.14 and made about 25 cubes. This come out to...Jar food .26 cents per meal and homemade .08 cents per meal, how awesome is that?

Now let me tell you how it went, not good. haha. First I made sweet potatoes, which I didn't realize how hard it is to cut that darn thing. I don't own a real steamer so I just used a strainer over a pot, which worked okay. Next I put the potato chunks into my blender as I also don't own a food processor. I turned the blender on and Nothing! The potatoes didn't move! Maybe I just needed to add water because that seemed to get things moving (a little). I put my mixture into 2 ice cube trays and YAY I did it but wait why is the colour of my strainer now faded off?? UGH...is it possible that the colour faded/dripped/melted into the pot of water that I used to thin out the baby food? Better safe then sorry...in the garbage my baby food goes!

I decided to try again but this time I would make something that didn't require a steamer or food processor so I made Banana Applesauce Mush . This was so easy to make and tasted SO good! Chelsea loved it and she rarely likes anything!! The only thing is one apple and one banana only made 7 cubes (probably 8 if I didn't give Chelsea any first). But I would call this one a success!

My next adventure in making baby food will be with pears and more sweet potatoes...but first I shall invest in a steamer, food processor (I forgot to mention my blender died haha), and a small strainer!

2 comments:

  1. You can bake the sweet potato in the oven with a little water in the bottom of the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bake my sweet potatos in tinfoil. Then you just cut them down the middle and scoop it out with a spoon! Then blend them with some water. Both babies love them!

    ReplyDelete